Wednesday 26 September 2012

Send me where you like ...



At last, the Raven appeared as an inky black brushstroke soaring against a wild sky.  She had only stirred her graceful wings once the rain storms abated, giving way to the searing winds that scoured vegetation from exposed outcrops of rock.  Brutish gusts blew soil into whipping tornadoes which stripped the skin from anyone foolish enough to be exposed to its lash.  She gave a rough cry on sighting the Buddhist prayer mound occupying a deserted hillock, and turned to descend at speed.  Her ebony wings came out of a steep dive and flew low scuffing at the long grass of the Steppe; the endless and ever renewing Mongolian grassland.  She was a long, long way from home and sensing danger, rose once more into the air spying the place marked on the map with a large X.

Circling above the settlement, Raven tested the thermals and picked up a casual cylinder of warmth elevated  from the merest breath of a dung fire.  A skilful twist of her wing-tip feathers brought her in to land on a gnarled fence post.  Famished, she considered the sparse remains of a goat, mummified and inedible.  A terrible scream split the earth and the Alabaster Sorceress loomed up as if crafted from pure chalk; her aspirin white skin enhanced with woad and wax.  Raven had kept the dark witch waiting and the hour was upon them.  Flicking blood red hair from her face, the Sorceress spoke, her voice muted and lisping, lips held close together by a steely ring.
“What brings you here Raven?”
“There’s magic afoot and I have been summoned.”  The impassive face turned sour as bitter cherries.
“Well sign in then and put some goddam makeup on.”  Raven shrugged and knew then it would be another one of those interminable days.

Y’know I’ve loved working with Wonky for the past year, in a sadomasochistic kind of way.  You can’t tell when she’s having a good day because she’s so controlled and when it’s bad, don’t we all know about it?  Well no, actually – it seems it’s just me who is the temporary repository of her misery.  Have I been sent to Coventry … oh that’s far too close for comfort and it has an Ikea.  I’m in the retail equivalent of Outer Mongolia, as far removed from the Shires as from the Moon.  It all started when I made the mistake of asking after her holiday.  Frankly, I was alarmed at the ferocity of her reply.
“I’m better now I’m not acting up.” Now as she’s not part robot, cyborg or toaster her problem had to be something less mechanical.
“Sorry?  Acting up?  What as?” I quipped.  Hands on hips, she hissed.
“I have been Acting Assistant Manager in case you haven’t noticed.”  Obviously, I hadn’t and while I’m on the subject, she’s not much of an actor either.  My cousin is brilliant but he’s been to RADA and Guildford.

Something told me I should shut up and clean a glass shelf or twenty but sometimes you can’t help yourself, can you?  It wasn’t long before she explained in less than friendly terms.
“Listen [you] – while the management has been on secondment, the under-management dared to go on holiday and the temporary management has been interviewing for your replacement, I’ve been Acting Up.”  The demon in me responded with less than my usual caution.
“Did they pay you for it?”
“No!!! But it’s a big responsibility and I’ve taken it very seriously.”
I wish I’d said “Then you’ve just been yourself with a bigger chip on your shoulder.”  Happily a customer needing counselling wandered into my orbit thus saving my bacon but since that moment, I have noticed a certain chill in the atmosphere … something akin to the presence of a super-massive black hole.

At the dawn of the 21st century, are we still practising the noble art of snubbing our co-workers?  I hope not because it’s bullying and I’ve been there before … as a temporary secretary in the 1980’s dreading the first Monday morning of each new assignment.  Could I hack the job?  Would they talk to me?  Mainly, it all turned out well and I'm nurturing the feeling that my next job will be a vast improvement on this one.  So, with only six shifts remaining in the Retail Cathedral, I may be in silence, out of pocket and facing an uncertain future but I’m happy.  That’s 99% of the battle, isn’t it?

Tip of the Blog:  Has anyone else noticed the amazing similarity in looks between Neil Oliver, who last night tucked into the sort of pickled entrails that only a true devotee of my ‘roadkill casserole’ would want to try, and the new face in New Tricks, Dennis Lawson?  There’s only a good haircut and a few years between them …

Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear John Lewis, Leicester

No apologies but I can't hold back any longer ... I'm missing you John Lewis.  There I said it! Since you closed the shutters over t...