Thursday 27 September 2012

Mongolia Maybe??



Taken to task about yesterday’s blog I feel the need to explain my fascination for the great Asiatic plains.  In fact, they wouldn’t have entered my Raven’s brain at all without the BBC2 programme ‘China on Four Wheels’ and Justin Rowlatt’s fascinating report on the incredible city of Kangbashe; built for millions and occupied by no-one. Reminiscent of the Retail Cathedral on a Tuesday - take a look at this if you dare.


I’m also a devotee of the splendid British explorer, Benedict Allen and his book ‘Edge of Blue Heaven’ charting a 1000 mile lone crossing of the Gobi Desert – with camels.  And on this epic journey across Mongolia, he was welcomed at various yurts and fed as if he was royalty.  One of his hosts produced a spectacular feast which leaned heavily on stuffed entrails, resembling warm Klingon Gak! [pron. Ghaaakh.]

I’ll give him his due - Mr Allen manned up and ate like a champion.  Afterwards he uttered some immortal words which chimed with my inner predator [not verbatim though, my memory's not that good].
“For any vegetarian wishing to undertake this journey, be aware you’ll only have about forty two days left to live unless you adapt.  Because that’s how long it takes to starve to death.”

And remembering his immortal words made me laugh out loud as I rounded up all the bags of unidentified meat from the freezer hoping to eke out a vegetarian tagine.  Nigella labels all her leftovers, I don't and was delighted to find seven Lidl meatballs, two gluten free sausages [sorry Hemlock], a chunk of scraggy lamb and some unidentified poultry – it was really tasty served on a bed of rice with some crusty bread.

My ‘roadkill casserole’ would fit in well with the cuisine of the eastern Asiatic republics – if only that was the venue for our combined ‘leaving do and staff incentive meal’ this coming Saturday night.  Instead, I’ll be treading carefully over an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet washed down with lots of Tsingtao and keeping my beak buttoned as all the available management will be turning out for this one.  Please help me … someone???

Tip of the Blog:  Can anyone explain why Carluccio’s scrambled eggs taste wonderful, and surprisingly like eggs should taste.  Mine just taste like scrambled stuff … free range of course.

 Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear John Lewis, Leicester

No apologies but I can't hold back any longer ... I'm missing you John Lewis.  There I said it! Since you closed the shutters over t...