Sunday 4 August 2013

Stop Press

"Job 1.4" is no more.  This is how it happened:

On Tuesday of last week, I'd clocked in at 9.00 am and by 10.00 am I was cross eyed and staring at the PC thinking
"What moron developed this computer package?"  The question remains unanswered.  Worse, the notes I'd made the previous day made no sense and may as well have been written in pure Klingon.  Still, I soldiered on until 12.00 only to be told I wouldn't be needed after 1.00 pm because those losing their contracts were being taken to lunch.  And I was to be dispatched to the back room to catch up on the filing for a couple of hours.

Much mumbling went on while I was sorting paper until I had a visitor bearing a cup of tea and a smile.  Another lovely Sandra who is of a completely different generation from my Raven chum.  She patted my arm saying,
"They did it to me too Raven.  Decided I might just slot in and do a bit of typing. Y'know, like the skill I'd been using for 20 years to earn a living was just a hobby."
"That's exactly how it was sold to me too ..."  Sandra nodded.
"And after two months I felt old and stupid."
"It got to me after a couple of hours."  My beak hit the desk.
"Me too." Sandra nodded sagely.  "But I wasn't going to let their daft schemes beat me."

On Thursday, after much mulling, I fetched up determined to end this farce and was told that more senior management had called in sick and I was to amuse myself in the Citadel.  Seeking out even higher management who'd forgotten I was on shift and patently didn't want to talk to me, I was left with no choice but to tell the truth.
"Sorry but this is a crock of detritus you've handed me and I'm not doing it."  That should be enough but when questioned I felt the need to explain. "I have the procedures for three wards and the medical jargon of twelve consultants locked in my head." Not to mention all the other dross I have to take on board. "It's full."  Her answer was unexpected.
"Oh we thought you'd like a jolly bit of typing to slot in with the rest of the stuff you do.  Never mind ... we might get nice Dee to try out as a medical secretary like you.  She did a two-week course about ten years ago ... she should fit in nicely.  You'll train her up, won't you?"
I gave up.  Wouldn't you?



Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear John Lewis, Leicester

No apologies but I can't hold back any longer ... I'm missing you John Lewis.  There I said it! Since you closed the shutters over t...