Wednesday 28 November 2012

A New Chapter



When I started writing Raven, my initial idea was to tell tales of the grinding boredom which shop work inflicts on the human psyche.  A veteran of three years in September 2011, I was looking down the barrel of Christmas, out-of-my-tree with worry over my ever-decreasing finances and distinctly disturbed about working for the monstrous management.  And so, with those 12 months behind me, I feel more at peace having received my P45 from them, but leaving was never going to be easy, was it? My big mistake was asking for my £30 bonus payment [in cosmetics of course] for the incredible contribution I made to September’s sales figures.  Imagine my inner joy when I received a swift refusal from the under-management, thus;
“You can’t have it.”  Unphased by her response, I turned down the volume on my attitude problem.
“Okay.  Thanks for checking.  Thought I’d ask … so bye.”  As I turned to go, she called me back because she’d gone to the trouble of printing out the official documentation regarding bonuses and was determined to make me read it.  Waving it in front of me, she said, 
“You have to take it within a month of leaving, so you’re too late.  It’s an HR rule.”  That makes it alright then?  I felt it was fair and right to air my views.
“I resigned on the fifth of October and as the fifth of November hadn’t happened yet, you could do it but … y’know what?  Don’t bother.”  She was still waving the bits of paper, no doubt trying to shoo me away from the til area where the queue was getting ugly.
“You don’t qualify.”
“I do but I’m so happy to be gone that I don’t care … I can’t eat it, wear it or clean the car with it, so what’s the big deal about a bit of crappy makeup or mascara that peels off in the rain?”  I left with a strange sense that Dame Anita wouldn’t have given a flying fluff about my bonuses either, or would the woman she sold her empire to … one of the richest women in the world apparently, and owner of 1’0r34l.  Ethical - my tail feathers.

Still, I’m free and quite enjoying Job2.1 a bit more and rapidly coming to know a whole new set of characters who qualify as ‘the management’.  Currently I’m standing guard over the daycare ward of a private hospital and gathering more paper cuts than Edward Scissorhands.  ‘Nuff said.  One of my co-workers is lazier than a sloth and known to all as Stephanotis, she thinks that manipulating others to do the parts of her job she can’t be ar5ed to carry out is great fun.  On Friday, I got a hail from the nurses’ station to get a barrow load of files from downstairs.  When I got into The Bunker, she was incredibly busy, shopping on Asos.com. So I enquired,
“Have you got two broken arms perhaps?”  This is a hospital, remember.
“No?” she chirped coupled with the big, innocent, stupid look which she must use on her mother to get out of doing everything.
“Well bring them up yourself next time because this is your job ... or we’ll be chatting to matron.”  It’s fun to sharpen my claws this way.

But I don’t like sharing a computer.  Ten years of my own super-fast, virus-free work laptops have obviously marked my card and I hadn’t realised quite how territorial I’d become.  When it comes to letting others root around on your desktop … well, to a geek like me, it’s like letting a stranger rifle your knicker drawer.   It’s not as bad as my mate Dulux though … he’s a blond Raven, having hit forty and gone straight through fair feathers to a really cool icy grey.  Anyway, about a decade ago now, he went to work for Rolls Royce at Derby as an IT project manager and had been perching there for a few months when he enquired about the date his laptop would arrive, so he could do some actual work, saying “… y’know, information technology stuff, a bit of managing a project or two.  I filled out the forms … in triplicate.”  His boss slapped him on the shoulder and said “Don’t worry sunshine, it usually takes about six months but you’re doing fine.”  So fine that he’d left and got a better job before the dreaded laptop arrived.

Tip of the Blog:  My final patient last night was a pleasant surprise – gorgeous and smiley – and as we skipped upstairs to the ward, I decided to polish up my chat-up lines.
“Been here before?” I enquired.
“No.”  He quipped with a wink.  “This is my first vasectomy.
Instead of saying something smart or funny like ‘it’s a snip!’ 
All I could manage was “Good for you.” in a strangled croak.

Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear John Lewis, Leicester

No apologies but I can't hold back any longer ... I'm missing you John Lewis.  There I said it! Since you closed the shutters over t...